Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Maycee Goes Tubeless!


Maycee resting a little before they pulled her breathing tube out.

I was watching over her, eagerly anticipating the tube coming out. You may notice my playoff beard going. I decided not to shave until we get to take Maycee home.

This is Maycee about 10 seconds after they took the tube out. Her face is a bit ravaged by all the tape used to strap the tube down, but still a gorgeous sight to see.
Darcy comforting Maycee.

And a very happy moment for Darcy and Maycee both. Notice all of the tubes and wires in the lower right corner. That is everything she still has to work to get rid of.
Today was a big day for Maycee. She had the breathing tube removed from her throat and now is on a nasal cannula. This is a giant step because it allows for quite a bit more movement for her. Darcy was able to hold her for about 30 minutes tonight and I got to change two poopy diapers. All the ladies in the NICU were telling me it was fair but I think I got the short end. Anyways, if all goes well tonight we should be able to hold her quite a bit tomorrow. Her next steps will be to focus on her feeding and hopefully start trying to breast feed within the next few days. She still has a ways to go to get out of the NICU but she has made some huge progress toward that happening.

5 comments:

Miles and Bex said...

Thanks for the update, now I can go to bed. I am so glad Darcy got to hold her! So exciting. Don't worry about all those cords, Maycee will probably just try to rip them off :-) Hope for another great day tomorrow!

Bobbi Mason said...

Brings tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you, and Darcy, and especially Maycee.......who doesn't love a good cuddle?

Dana said...

Yeah Oh Yeah Maycee!!!!!!!! That is a huge step in the right direction!!! I am sooooo glad Darcy got to hold her. It is the hardest thing to see your kid suffering and not be able to hold them. She looks beautiful without the tube.

Anonymous said...

The news just keeps getting better. You guys will be able to get that baby home in no time!! I like the beard :) Happy Day Swanson's. Love ya!!

Alaska Massey said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys. Every night, even little Owen prays for baby Maycee in his prayers. We can't wait for you to get her home.