Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Big 34...best one yet!

I have to say that my amazing husband makes aging a pleasure. Every year he surprises me with some wonderful time for my birthday, and while I knew something was coming, I didn't know what he had up his sleeve. Thanks to the help of the grandmas and Grandpa Ron, Aaron took me for a weekend in Anchorage. Miles and Becky tagged along for the day and we had a blast eating great food and shopping at the mall. At day's end, Aaron surprised me again with a night at the Alyeska Hotel in Girdwood. While I have been there many times, I have never actually stayed in the hotel. It was awesome. We literally traveled through the clouds (fog) to the top of the mountain to enjoy the best food of my life at the 7 Glaciers restaurant. This was after we got an unforgettable couples massage (I was sore for 3 days and Aaron had bruises!)

These pictures were taken from my phone in the dark, so they don't do the views justice. The beauty was incredible and very romantic. I just have to say that my birthday dinner won't be topped for a very long time. We had 5 courses of very fancy and incredible food, the type you see on Food Network! I wanted to take a picture of every course, but when the waiter would bring the next course out, I completely forgot to take a picture and dove in. I did use some restraint and took a picture of my amazing "baked Alyeska" dessert. It was incredible...yes that chocolate ribbon says happy birthday on it. Wow
That weekend was unforgettable, and I am proud to say that I am a spoiled girl. Thank you, my sweet hubby!!

For my actual b-day, we had a last hooray on the lake and had the Massey's, Pond's, Hansen's, Williams, and Richards over for a barbecue and lake fun. Keep in mind, this was September 20th, very much fall in Alaska (notice the yellow leaves). Yes, we are crazy, but you can do anything in a wet suit, right?
Me, blowing out my fancy birthday candle! Thanks Becky for my yummy poppy seed cake!
Here is a view of the back of the house with the landscaping project of the summer. Those concrete walls will be covered in slate for next summer's project and then I can plant to my heart's content. Notice the wide variety of beach toys cluttering the beach? Yes, I'm pretty sure the neighbors think we are crazy.
Here is Aaron catching some air. It thrills me to no end to see Aaron playing like a kid and reaping the rewards of all his hard work.
Aaron and Shayne tearing it up.
Maycee chillin' on the beach. Doesn't she look like she is having a blast?! Logan tries to get her to smile, but she is a tough nut to crack.
I did plenty of smiling on my birthday, and when it was time to take the big kids on the lake, I laughed so hard, I almost wet my pants. I do not like cold water...at all...so my official job is driver of the boat. I love this job. This was the first time towing 4 tubers, but Brian, Jeff, Aaron, and Becky provided me with lots of laughs. Ready guys?
Aaron is pretending to be bored because I was taking it easy on them at first. Okay, honey, you asked for it!!
Hold on Becky!!!
Brian, you are supposed to ride on the water, not Jeff's back!
Becky, you're going in!!
"I've fallen and I can't get up!!" I really did have a memorable 34th birthday, and am so blessed to have such amazing family and friends that make me feel so special.

No comments: