Monday, March 8, 2010

Hey Mom, Look What I Can Do!

When we were in the process of designing, then building our dream kitchen, I told Aaron I would cook amazing meals all the time in our new kitchen. While I grew up eating awesome meals my Dad would create nearly every night, I didn't take time to learn how to make those awesome meals. As a result, I am not the domestic goddess I would like to be. I don't sew, cook, can home grown vegetables, etc. BUT, I am trying...
So here are some things I would like to learn how to do better this year:
1. Grind wheat and make bread with that wheat

2. Learn how to sew so I can make some cushions for my breakfast nook (this is going to be a real challenge) any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Grow a garden and can those veggies (I do garden, but want to make a bigger one at the new house).

4. Follow recipes so the resultant meal looks and tastes like what it is supposed to.

I think this list is daunting enough, so we will see how I do.
For Sunday dinner, I made Thai chicken lettuce wraps, and HOMEMADE buttermilk rolls...FROM SCRATCH! I know, I even amazed myself. I have left the roll making to mother because she is really good at it, but she lives 3 hours away, and it's time I stopped being afraid of yeast (I usually kill it). I found this recipie on a great cooking blog and I decided to go for it. Here are the little, buttery jewels baking in the oven.
And look! I didn't even burn them! They were so good that my family ate 2 trays worth.
Don't I look lovely? Scary, but Aaron snapped this for evidence showing that I do cook from time to time.
Here is my finished product. The wraps were awesome and quite healthy too. Jaron even tried some lettuce which is a HUGE milestone for him. The last time he tried it was 2 years ago and he threw up. Okay, you can stop laughing at my beautiful meal presented on a paper plate. Baby steps people, baby steps.
It was nice to see the kids enjoying the product of my labors. I also made cowboy cookies for dessert. I think it's going to be a bad week at weight watchers.

6 comments:

Bobbi Mason said...

Super impressed! I don't laugh at the paper plates, I laugh at that kitchen dying to be used by Racheal Ray. Way to go! When you learn how to sew...........will you teach me?

Dana said...

YOu did awesome!!!!! I have a fool proof recipie for rolls if you want them but looks like you did a wonderful job without it. What would be even better on my taste buds is opening up that roll and slapping that lettuce wrap right in it. OH yum. If only I could eat lettuce. Well you did a wonderful job. And who wouldn't want to cook in the beautiful kitchen you have!!!

Unknown said...

Way to go Darcy! With practice, you will be good as your Dad in no time. In that amazing kitchen, don't you have two dishwashers plus two nearly grown-up kids to do the dishes? It is a toss-up what is best for the environment.. kill more trees to make paper plates or use energy to run the dishwashers. Whatever you decide or do, you are an amazing mother! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I am impressed...rolls from scratch...wow. That's huge. Lizzy has those same PJ's with the flowers on them...they are her favorite...LOL.

LA Law said...

Where's the recipe for the rolls? They look SOOOOO good!

Travis'wife said...

Hey, if you ever need help with those things, I'd love to come over & help! I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I'm in a homemaking mood I guess. Or maybe I'm just nesting. Let me know! I just finished re-upholstering my rockng chair. :)
Great job btw! You look like you've been baking for years!!!
Oh, and I do know a little about making wheat bread.