Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back-logged blogger

Yes, it has been a while since the last post, but I have been really busy entertaining visiting relatives, stocking my food storage with the bounties of Alaskan waters, all while trying to maintain some semblance of a clean house, weed free yard, and somewhat cared for children. This post is going to consist of shortly narrated pictures from our latest adventures. So here is an update on our new home construction:

These two pics are of the beginnings of part of the foundation and the foundation blocks waiting to be installed. That's me standing in what will eventually be our front entry.
These pics are about a week later with some of the wall blocks installed. The boys are standing in what is going to be the basement of the house. The other pic shows how the basement will open up to the backyard and down to the lake.



This was taken today and it is of our well being drilled. Yeah, we will have water to drink! Still don't know how far this guy has to dig for water, but it shouldn't be too far. Most of the neighbors hit water around 50 feet or so.

Next, we move on to cousin Kimmie and Uncle Matt visiting from Utah. We had so much fun with them, eventhough Kim is a true Utah girl. We had a hard time keeping Kim warm and dry, but she was a trooper and even went out fishing in the rain and caught not only the biggest halibut on the boat, but the most! Way to go Kim.
We took the kids (4 hikers and 2 stroller riders) up to the Russian River Falls to watch all the spawning salmon try and jump the falls. It was a great bear-free hike and the kids made the 41/2 mile round trip like pros.

Then it was off to Homer for the day. We actually got some sunshine which made the trip a great one. We went to the Oceans and Islands visitors center where we tide-pooled and found lots of cool stuff. The best was a dead jellyfish and a eel fish that Haylee found for us. We walked down by all the boats in the harbor and saw lots of halibut being hauled in. Bobbi and I had to laugh at our city slicker cousin when she thought the smell of fish was going to make her throwup. We actually like the smell of freshly caught fish. Little did Kim know that the next day she would go out halibut fishing with Aaron and catch a few halibut of her own.

Once my Uncle Matt arrived, it was off on a hike (one of his favorite things to do in Utah). We started out on the Fuller Lakes trail. I have never done this hike before, but have always wanted to try it. Sidenote: this hike is located in prime bear country of Cooper Landing and the previous day a woman was mauled by a brown bear at the Princess Lodge which is also in Cooper Landing. We got about a 1/4 mile up the trail when we stumbled on some very fresh bear scat right in the middle of the trail. Needless to say we turned around and decided to go on a more heavily traveled trail up to the Russian River Falls. Matt had never done this trail before so we decided to take this safer route. It's just as well because the Fuller Lakes trail is listed as "strenuous" and I was with 2 almost 60 year old men. I know you would have made it just fine guys!
After a few days recovering around my house, we said goodbye to Kimmie, and then headed off to Valdez. We love Valdez because it is so beautiful, has great fishing when the silvers are in, and we can walk to just about everything the town has to offer. Aaron couldn't take 2 more days off work so the plan was for me to drive the motorhome with the kids on the 9 hours (from our house) where he would meet me after making the trip by plane. We made the trip relatively unscathed. Heck, after driving to Utah last year, the kids are champs when it comes to making long hauls in the motorhome. It turns out that Aaron had to make the trip by car too when his flight was cancelled due to zero visiblilty in Valdez. Thanks Lynn for letting him use the Caddy! He loved the "Beaches" soundtrack, especially after the 34th time through!
Here are some pics from our Valdez adventure:
We stopped at a glacier at the hightest point of the trip, just before the downhill run into Valdez. The baby girls loved looking at the glacier through the guardrail. Mostly they just liked being big girls, standing on thier own.
Mom, me and the kids at Bridal Veil Falls. It is gorgeous!
Now on to the most important part of the trip...Fishing!! The first trip out on the boat consisted of Uncle Matt, Papa, Auntie Bobbi, me, and my boys. We knew the silver fishing would be slow as it is still a little early for them. But, after about an hour, Brady hooked into a monster!! We were so proud as we watched him fight that fish. He did a great job, and Aaron netted it after it wore Brady's arm right out.
We got three bags of fillets out of that one big silver. Way to go Brady!! All our poor Jaron got was a baby ling cod, and he didn't think that counted as a "good fish" so we took the kids to a perfect pink salmon hole to get Jaron a "real fish".
Here he is with his first one. He was thrilled. The water is teaming with pinks at this point, so we just let the kids fish to thier heart's content.
Even Grandma got in on the action.
Chloee even got one "all by herself". She then went on to doing what she does best; finding lots of shells.
I had to get one of my own too. Thanks to Aaron for getting all those fish off our lines. He was running ragged up and down that beach. Here is a pic of Jolee being Abbi's pillow in the stroller. Doesn't she look thrilled? Eventually, we let her out where she played in the wet rocks. She had a ball throwing sand in her hair. She even got some in her diaper. How does that happen?
Last, but not least...here is a pic of Jolee pushing Chloee on the Ferry ride home. We decided to take the state "fast" ferry to Whitter to shave off about 3 hours driving time. What a great way to travel! The water was beautiful, and the best part was I wasn't driving!! Congrats, we made it home and you made it through this post!!

7 comments:

Dana said...

I just can't believe how much Haylee looks like you Darcy. I see her and I think it is you. Tom's parents live in Valdez. In fact that glacier you talked about was the one that we had our very first date on. Its just beautiful there. It looks like you guys have had so much fun. I miss it sometimes. I always wanted to take the ferry home from there but never did it. YOu look good by the way. I have not excersised since I gave birth to Emma actually. I found out about 18 months later that I have crones disease. I just couldn't figure out why I was so tired all the time. I don't think I could do kickboxing anymore it would just kill my body. I am glad to see all the updates !!

Fishin' Ponds said...

Wow...gotta love the hectic life of Alaskan summers huh?! However, it looks like you guys have been having so much fun! I love all the pics...and I agree...blogspot needs to find a much faster way to upload pics! It is soooo time consuming!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys have been having a ton of fun in the great outdoors! The house looks massive...how big will it be?

Miles and Bex said...

I can not believe how much is done on your house already. Aaron might just win. I also noticed how long his fingernail are getting. Tell him he better go get a manicure. Looks like you guys are having a blast with out us. Good thing we left or we wouldn't have seen you for the entire time anyways.

Alaska Massey said...

Wow! What a massive post! I'm excited things are moving along for you with the new house. I love the summer pics of the kids. It's good to know we can all get out and have fun even with the not so nice weather.

jennywren said...

Wow, when you catch up you really catch up! Looks like you guys have been having so much fun this summer--someday we are going to have to come up there to Alaska so I can see this in person rather than just pics.

The Dorman Family said...

okay so what I want is a detailed schedule of your days. Really, how do you do it? Really? I just watch you and say WOW! WOW! How do you find time to shower? oh and I want more details on the house, because WOW! Oh and for the vote, Id go with white. Much more modern and contrasts well with so much.