Monday, August 11, 2008

This past weekened, Aaron and I decided to brave Anchorage to tour the annual Parade of new Homes. We have never done this before, but we figured if there were ever a year to do it, this was it. We really enjoyed the alone, grown-up time as we tried to get ideas for our new house.
Here are some pics of stuff we liked.

This is a picture of a house that most closely resembles what I think our's will eventually be as far as exterior layout goes. The garages are off to the left side and ours will be layed out differently, but as far as front entrance and roof lines, it is very similar. This made me really excited because I have been a little nervous with trying to envision the final product from looking at a few drawings.
This is a house that is in Eagle River and I actually took the picture for siding ideas. I love the stone colors and our shingles are about the same as on this house. We are going with white vinyl windows, and I liked the way these colors worked together.

This front entry is very similar to ours, except the column on the left on our house will be connected to the house, leaving the column on the right open like this one. I also like the stone and siding colors on this house.

Here Aaron and I are with some random tour goers in a master bathroom. I really like the way this vanity used the corner of the room. I like all the mirrors too. Aaron has already told me that there will be a dividing line right down the middle of the angle.

This is one of my favorite features!! I love love love this mudroom bench/locker setup. I want this to help me organize all my kids' junk.

This kitchen ceiling was in a way over priced condo, but very cool with the lighting and dry-wall accents. That's Aaron looking at the quality of the cabinets. The next pic is a better shot of the kitchen light...too modern?
Aaron is striking a lovely pose on the exposed agrigate sidewalk similar to what we want to do.
Check out this awesome cherry built in!
I thought this built in bench/plant holder was a great entry way idea.
We took lots more pictures, but I won't bore you any longer. Here is my blog poll:
White (or some shade thereof) trim and doors, or stained wood??? I have had both in houses and like both. What is a girl to do? Vote now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I get the first vote...personally I am a big interior color person so I tend to go towards white when it comes to trim...I like bright walls with white trim, doors and ceilings to contrast. But, I am not building a massive custom dream home either...I think if I were in your shoes, judging by what you like in your pictures, I think you might be happier with wood trim. Also, with 5 kids, white may not be the easiest thing to keep up with. You might end up with lots of scuff marks and that sort of thing...you wouldn't be able to notice those types of things if you went with the wood trim and doors. :)

Dana said...

We had stained wood in Kenai and here we have all white doors and trim. Pro: it lightens everything up(good thought for AK) Con: they get and show dirt so quickly with little ones running around. We even have white base boards. I can't tell you which one I really prefer because the pros and cons balance it very well. Those were some really pretty homes you went into. Love Aaron's nice striking pose on the walkway.

Alaska Massey said...

I'm a fan of white. It seems to be pretty classic looking and contrasts well with paint colors. But, in all the Extreme Makeover Home Editions recently they seem to have a dark stained wood - so it's cool right now. Looks like a fun thing to go do.
Angela