Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mid-July in Alaska

So you can definitely tell it's mid-July in Alaska. Traffic is backed up, tourists are running all over the roads and rivers, and Fred Meyer's Parking lot looks like an RV park. I think it is so funny that all these tourists come to Alaska in their RV's to experience Alaska and they end up camping in a grocery store parking lot. I guess with the price of gas, staying in a free parking lot seems like the best option. Anyway, along with mid-July comes the second run of red salmon  in the rivers. Along with getting paid to live here with our PFD's, we locals also have the privilege to fill our freezers come dip-netting time. Our family qualifies for 85 fish, not that we could ever eat that many, but we headed out on the river to dipnet anyways.

My sweet husband took the girls (Bex, Pepper, and I) out the other night to try our luck. What fun we had. We slayed the fish, ending up with 80 in about 5 hours. Bex had never dip-netted before and Pepper has only done it from the beach, so watching these two girls was quite entertaining. We eventually got the system down, and ended the night soaking wet, covered in fish scales, and laughing all the way home.

If you have ever dip-netted before, you know the fun part is the catching...not the cleaning and storing. We eventually made it to bed somewhere around 4 am and did it all again the next day when my parents came down to fill their freezers. We ended up with 48 that trip. Needless to say, the smokers and caners have been going full steam ahead for the last 2 days. A huge thanks to my mom for running the caners and my dad for skinning all those fillets. 

How lucky we are to live in a place where we can step outside our door, drive 15 minutes to the river, and put food on the table that night. There is nothing better than fresh salmon hot off the grill, but after smelling fish for the last few days straight, I might need to go back to chicken for a little while. Happy fishing all!!

5 comments:

Fishin' Ponds said...

Aaron is a saint for taking the three of us...however, I think he had way too much fun watching and listening to us! I just have to say I love the canned/smoked fish in January...but I hate them right now!! I can't stand the smell or the site of raw fish or anything to do with the fish. You might be done, but we get to start all over this weekend...yeah for us huh?!

Emily said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment on my blog that I started and then apparently forgot about! I've actually checked out your blog through Maigan's. Did she tell you about me, by chance? She may have mentioned that my husband is from Kenai and my brother-in-law is from Sterling. My husband's name is Mike Macvie (sister Meagan) and my brother-in-law's name is Jason Evans (brothers Doug and Nathan). My sister and brother-in-law actually just moved back to Soldotna and we are flying up on the 25th of this month. Maigan told me that you didn't grow up there but I'm sure we still know some of the same people! I know: Mark Taplin (Cad Re Feeds)and his fiance Jessica, Shawn and Jennifer Stubblefield, Jeff Webb, Tyson and Jenny Wetzel... any of those names sound familiar? My in-laws also still live there... Fred and Nancy Macvie on Strawberry Rd.
Sorry, I know this was rambling... I just LOVE reminders of how small this world is!
Great blog, by the way... your family is gorgeous! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of dip netting. I do miss the slime line days!! The sad part is I don't know if I could even clean a fish these days if given the opportunity. I don't think I've even touched a fish since the last time I went fishing with you...when do you think that was? 15 years ago? Thats a crazy/sad thought. And what a small world. Here I know you all my life, then move here, meet Emily (when was that? 7 or 8 years ago...maybe longer)...she moves away...then she marries someone from Kenai...it's that whole thing about how eveyone is connected by no more than 7 people...do you know what I'm talking about? Craziness.

Dana said...

I stumbled onto your blog through the Massey's. Your kids are just so cute!!! The oldest she isn't really yours? I don't remember you having such an older one. We miss that Alaskan mentality. We moved to MS 2 years ago. I never would have thought I would have said that I miss things about AK but I sure do and the fishing season was one(even though we didn't fish and i don't like fish) Its just an alaskan thing.

munyer jerk chicken said...

hey... so glad you found our blog. i've enjoyed looking at yours, too! so 80 fish in 5 hours, huh? what are we doing wrong? we're also hoping to get out on the swanson sometime this summer (what's left of it, anyway). fun times.