Thursday, April 7, 2011

Darcy Did What With a Stingray??

We were lucky enough to be able to go on a week long Caribbean cruise in March for Miles' and Becky's 10 year anniversary. Weird? We didn't think so, any excuse works to go on a cruise. We had a great time in the glorious sun. The definite highlight of the trip for me was swimming with Stingrays in Grand Cayman. It is a well known fact that I am kind of a wuss when it comes to water adventures, especially when animals are involved. No one thought I was going to do this excursion, but I proved them all wrong!!
Yep, that's me holding a big ol' stingray!! The water was absolutely amazing, incredibly clear and warm. That made it easier for me to see the stingrays around me, which made me less nervous. I quickly realized that the fish would only come around if you had bait, and I found myself wanting to touch them long after the bait was gone.
Our guides did the customary "Stingray Massage", which was really cool, but kind of freaky. The stingrays actually reminded me a lot of halibut, and I used to play with halibut guts when I was a kid, so the stingrays were no big deal. I will admit though, that I screamed like a girl when Mario, our guide, put that slimy fish on my unsuspecting back.
Yep, that's me kissing a stingray. She loves me. I learned that the large ones are females and the small ones I thought were babies were actually the males.
Okay, I can't resist putting this in. Becky, you are such a wimp!

No comments: