Friday, June 25, 2010

OUCH!!

A few weeks ago, we went to "Zion" to meet Haylee and Aaron as they finished their youth pioneer trek (more on that later when I get some pictures to post). While we were waiting, Jaron found himself some tall, dead grass to play in. The next thing I know, I see him holding his thumb while big, crocodile tears are running down his face. He is screaming to the point where everyone around me thought he had broken his thumb.

When I finally got him to show me his injury, I saw a rather large splinter of the thick grass he was in sticking out of his thumb. Several people offered to help hold him down, but after much coaxing, I got him to let me pull it out. He stopped crying and when on to playing. Crisis over, or so I thought.

About a week later, his thumb was swollen and a large blister had formed where the sliver had been. I happened to be at my parents house at the time and luckily my dad is an expert sliver remover. We soaked his thumb in hot water, hydrogen peroxide, and poked it with a needle. Without getting too graphic, I squeezed quite a bit of puss out and while I was squeezing his thumb, a little piece of sliver started to poke out. I though we had found the last little remaining bit of the original sliver, so I had my mom grab the end with some tweezers and pull. Too all of our shock and horror, this massive stick came sliding out! Poor guy, no wonder he was screaming his head off.

2 comments:

Dana said...

OH that poor guy!!! I feel so bad for him. I am glad you guys were able to get it out.

LA Law said...

Ouch is right. Glad you finally got it out!